Updated: Mar 31, 2019
In this Birmingham Wine Weekend exclusive tasting we looked to discover replacement for classic go to wines. Thank you for joining us, as promised, these were the wines we tried ..
1) Champagne replacement - Cave de Turckheim Cremant d'Alsace, FRA, online £15
2) Pinot Grigio replacement - Rapitalà Grillo Sicilia DOC, ITA, Waitrose, £9.99
3) Cool climate Sauvignon Blanc replacement - Tres Mares Albariño, Rias Baixas, ESP, Waitrose £7.99
4) New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc replacement - MacMurray Pinot Gris, Russian River, Sonoma, USA
5) Rioja replacement - Celeste, Torres, Ribera del Duero, Crianza, ESP, £12.99 (possibly the favourite of the evening)
6) Chateauneuf du Pape replacement - Arc du Rhone Gigondas, 2016 FRA £18-20